Messaging apps are very useful in this era of technology. We can use messaging apps to connect with other people. Messaging apps can be used for sending text messages, images, videos, documents and more.
There are so many messaging apps available online, which makes it harder to choose one.
Today’s post is going to guide you through some messaging apps which I consider best for particular needs.
Table of Contents
Best Messaging Apps
So, these are my picks.
If you want to connect with people who know you, then WhatsApp should be your choice. This is because WhatsApp is India’s most used messaging app. If someone has a smartphone, the possibilities are that person uses WhatsApp.
WhatsApp also has a status feature in it, which people use to post images and videos for all of their contacts to see.
You can make groups in WhatsApp, in which you can add contacts to do group chats.
WhatsApp can also be used for making voice calls and video calls for free.
One main thing to notice about WhatsApp is that it doesn’t store chat data like text messages, images, and documents to the cloud.
Instead, all the data is stored within your device. It makes it easier to lose chat data if your device gets lost, or if you uninstall WhatsApp. As a solution, you can configure WhatsApp to take chat backups and to save them in Google Drive or iCloud.
Pros of using WhatsApp:
- It is very easy to set up and use.
- You can easily find your contacts on WhatsApp.
- WhatsApp uses end-to-end encryption that makes your chats private.
Cons of using WhatsApp:
- It doesn’t store your chats in the cloud.
- You can’t use the same account on multiple smartphones.
- The web version of WhatsApp is not very good.
- WhatsApp groups can’t have more than 1024 participants.
Telegram is the most popular messaging app in India after WhatsApp. So many people use Telegram instead of WhatsApp because Telegram is a cloud-based messaging app. Unlike WhatsApp, your chats on Telegram are stored on the cloud instead of your own device.
That makes it harder to lose chat data in Telegram. It also gives seamless sync between multiple devices, which means you can use your Telegram account on multiple devices while having the same chat history.
Telegram is more popular among users for making a group. The ability to create a group makes Telegram so popular. People can create Telegram groups with a very large number of participants (as large as 200,000 participants).
You can also use Telegram for making video and audio calls.
Pros of using Telegram:
- Telegram stores all the chat data to the cloud, which makes it harder to lose chat data.
- Telegram has very good syncing capabilities that lets you use your telegram account on multiple devices.
- You can create groups in Telegram and have up to 200,000 members in it.
- Telegram can also be used as file storage since Telegram stores chat data to the cloud.
- Telegram is also available as a web app, and it works fine without having Telegram installed on a mobile device.
Cons of using Telegram:
- It is very unlikely to find all the people you know on Telegram.
- To use every feature of Telegram, you have to buy Telegram premium.
Signal is an instant messaging app that focuses on providing private messaging experience to its users. The underlying technology that Signal uses is mostly open source.
Signal claims that it doesn’t track its users and doesn’t show them any kind of ads. Signal is 100% free to use. Despite being free and open source, Signal comes with all the modern features that anyone needs in a messaging app.
You can do text messages, audio calls and video calls using Signal. You can create groups in it. Furthermore, you can add stories in your Signal account.
Signal stores all the chat data offline in the user’s device, that means you can’t use your signal account on multiple devices or the web while having the same chat history. Despite that, Signal provides a way to link devices that are using signals with your main device.
Pros of using Signal
- Signal is a more secure and private messaging app when compared to other messaging apps.
- Signal is free and open source.
Cons of using Signal
- Because of its private and secure nature, Signal stores all the chat data locally on the device.
- Signal is only used by a limited number of people who want secure and private messaging.
- Signal is not available as a web app.
Discord is one of the best messaging apps if you want a complete cloud-based experience.
This messaging app is heavily used by the gaming community for team communications. Discord is also used by teams in companies for doing their work-related communications.
Discord can be used for doing text messages, audio calls, video calls and for sending files.
Discord is mainly popular for making groups, which we call servers. It is because Discord provides so many features for making and managing a server that has so many participants.
Discord is completely cloud based, and it is available as a mobile app, a desktop app and a web app.
Slowly, people are moving to Discord for communicating with friends and communities.
Pros of using Discord
- Discord stores all chat data to the cloud, which makes it easier to use your discord account across multiple devices.
- Discord is perfect for making groups (servers) because Discord gives so many features for building them.
- There are programs called Bots which can be integrated with Discord to add features in a Discord server.
- Discord is also available as a web app.
Cons of using Discord
- Using Discord can be overwhelming for new users.
- Discord is not a privacy focused messaging app and it doesn’t provide end to end encryption.
Messenger is another very popular messaging app by Facebook. If you are a Facebook user then Messenger can be the best choice for you. Messenger is basically a standalone app that is used by Facebook to provide chat facilities to its users.
To use Messenger, you will need a Facebook account. You can use messenger to chat with your Facebook friends, Facebook groups and communities.
Messenger is a cloud based messaging app, meaning that all your activity is stored on the cloud. That means, you can use messenger on multiple devices at the same time without any hassles.
Pros of using Messenger
- Messenger is a cloud based messaging app.
- Messenger is also available as a web app without any need of a mobile device.
Cons of Using Messenger
- You have to make a Facebook account to use messenger.
Which One Should You Use?
Which messaging app you should use depends solely on your needs.
For example, if you just want to send text messages to your friends and family members, you can simply use WhatsApp because everyone uses it and it is very likely that you are going to find everyone that you know there.
But if you are very concerned about your privacy and security then you should use Signal.
In the end, it is up to you what kind of messaging app you want to use. I suggest you to use multiple messaging apps at the same time because that way you can fulfil every need of yours.
I hope you liked reading this post. Thank you.